Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Kids' Joey McIntyre knows Nick Jonas' path, but they're both learning as they go.

SOURCE

What life in a boy band is like

Nick Jonas: "Each one of us is energetic, and we have a lot of things coming up together and individually, so the fact that we're able to go and do things on our own and come back to the group and know that we're solid there is just a great thing."

What life in a boy band is really like

Joey McIntyre: "You really just want to go home and hang with your buddies. I mean, it's not like you don't want to go and play Madison Square Garden or travel the world. It's just that everything has a cost. It took some time — it took years to unwind from that. It's like they say that when you break up from a relationship, it takes half as long (as the relationship lasted) to unwind from it. That's how it was with the New Kids."

On how being in a band influenced the making of their solo discs

Jonas: "Obviously, I wanted to keep (my brothers) in the loop and make sure they're all good with it. I had very early conversations with them when I started writing it, and they were both supportive and excited for me. … I think it was good knowing that I had the support of my brothers going into it. It really makes for a good experience in the studio and onstage together."

McIntyre: "Definitely, I was influenced by the whole (band) coming back. It got a fire going in me — on the one hand, being around music and being inspired by the music and on the other hand, it was my individual streak and wanting to do my own thing. I'm lucky I get to do both."

On the trickiness of balancing boy bands and solo careers

Jonas: "It's just about learning. For my brothers and me, this will be the year of learning, just how everything's going to work out, how we're going to balance everything. So far, it's interesting. … The important thing is that we all have an equal level of respect for each other."

McIntyre: "It's an amazing dynamic. You have five grown men coming together and doing something that's really fun, but that's also a lot of work and juggling of each man's personalities. But it's awesome. The learning experiences and the laughs and the ups and downs of it all are something to be grateful for."

On how their solo projects might potentially conflict with their bands and vice versa

Jonas: "I want to make sure that (people know) it's just a side project and it's fun. I can have two projects that I feel passionate about and that can coexist."

McIntyre: "Coming back after so long, and then having the reaction we've had …it's not over yet, whatever this is. The comeback is over and now we're like, a band, and we're looking forward to doing something cool. In the meantime we have our own stuff. (Being in NKOTB might negatively impact my solo stuff) but I definitely don't walk around frustrated because of that. I just put out a tour and it sold out in minutes! I don't care how that happened. That could just as easily have not happened."

On advice for Nick Jonas

McIntyre: "He might have different (issues) than I have. I'm still trying to be more patient, you know what I mean? I'm not a very patient guy. I look back and all I can say is, 'Be patient,' but I'm just talking to myself."

Nick Jonas and the Administration

When: 7 p.m. Sunday

Where: Rosemont Theatre, 5400 N. River Road, Rosemont

Price: $37.50; 800-745-3000 or ticketmaster.com

Joey McIntyre

When: 8 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave.

Price: $30; 800-745-3000 or ticketmaster.com

No comments:

Post a Comment