Saturday, January 2, 2010

NKOTB - My Year in Review @Lioneris

SOURCE



*Forgive me I probably will jump around, but I’m going where my mind takes me , most details will be about HOB because that is freshest in my mind*
*And I'm not the greatest at grammar and spelling so don't say I didn't warn you*

I’m not much for writing, but for some reason feeling a little sentimental now and lots of thoughts running through my head. I know many of us are so alike in so many ways; we share our love, our stories are similar. But we are also so unique and individual and together we have created this bond, this army (this love) that cannot be broken. And with that my story…

Let’s start in 1987…yes I’m taking it way back. I was six years old. And my best friend and I found our first crushes in NKOTB. I found I had a liking for the bad boy; she, well she fell for blue eyes. I was quiet and shy growing up, well I still am; although not as much as I was. I found a love for the five bad boys from beantown and they helped me through many tough times growing up. Fast forward to the mid `90’s; no NKOTB and entering high school; how was I to survive? I stuck my head in my books and put all my time into school work, yeah you could call me a geek or a nerd, go ahead wouldn’t be the first time. But it got me the work ethic and job that I have now.

I survived high school and went on to college. A lot of growing up here, some good times, some bad times; it was during these four years that I learned how much one person could physically and emotionally hurt you. Because of this it is also where I turned my emotions inward and starting keeping to myself to protect myself. The majority of my shyness/quietness stems from these years.

I found a job after graduation; started to make a life of my own. The daily grind started and ended the same. Each day passed, life was just ho humming along. Until one day driving to work I heard this song “Summertime”. I’ll admit, I wasn’t on the internet that much unless it was to do research for work or a report; I’d never heard of twitter or facebook ; and myspace was old news. Hearing this song I kept thinking to myself, I know these voices why can’t I put a name to it. Of course stupid radio station did not say who it was, so off to the internet I went to find out.

When I saw NKOTB; my mouth dropped. I couldn’t believe it; I had followed some of Joe’s solo career and seen the majority of Donnie’s movies, but all five together again, could it be? And a new cd, a tour? OMG! I rushed right out and bought the CD as soon as it came out. I was sad that I couldn’t make any of the fall dates; work just kept me too busy to take off. Alas a spring tour announced and a date in my hometown of State College, and to my surprise my mom got me two tickets for my birthday (although I’m betting she is regretting it now, lol). None of my school friends would go with me; in fact they all thought I was nuts. I found a girl that I worked with, Heather, that shared my love for the guys and said she would go with me. And with that I found a best friend. We went to the show and I fell in love, more than I had ever been before. When the lights went out and the video first started playing I felt goosebumps; and as I watched the video and when the guys first came out tears were forming in my eyes. I was in awe as Donnie walked in front of us from the B stage. The show was nothing short of amazing.

I left that concert a different person; and from that moment my life began to change and for the better. I joined twitter and the ning site. I found out about the Today Show appearance in May and said to myself you have to go. I requested the days of work and was prepared to go by myself until I found someone else from the area to go with me. I had never met her before; I didn’t know her. I met Amy (@donniespagirl) and we drove to NYC to sit on the sidewalks for 32 hours. While sitting on the sidewalks, we met more people (@covergirl_76 (Amanda), @umasswmr (Trish), @aliceinnyc (Lauren), Amy M., and Keith) we played games, talked, laughed; call me crazy but those 32 hours were an amazing good time (besides the endless rain, and few thunderstorms). We were lined up and getting ready to find our spots for the show Friday morning when the guys walked in front of us, shaking hands, giving hugs, and handing out concert tickets. I was star stuck and froze when Donnie walked by; composed myself to get a handshake from Joe and Jon. The show was utterly amazing and at this point you could say I was hooked.

After the Today Show there was the Camden show. A last minute decision; Amy and I took her daughter to her first concert. The night where the lights went out, can still hear "fix this shit" in my head. We decided to wait outside to see if we could get some facetime. Over an hour after the show Donnie came out. He walked by and gave Amy’s daughter a hug and I got a pat/rub on the shoulder. Again left the show more in love and with more determination to actually talk to and hug the man.

Next show….Pittsburgh, upgraded to 5*. Heather and I set out on what we called our “blockcation”. Pittsburgh show one night drive back home to pick up Amy and then off to Jones Beach the next night, for what I figured would be my last show. Pittsburgh – this was my chance, 3rd time is a charm right? We met up with Amanda before the show and waited with her at McDonald's before they would let us into the parking lot. As we pulled into the parking lot at the amphitheater, it began to rain, but come on it isn’t a New Kids show without rain right? Group K, I was so nervous beforehand that I couldn’t even eat or drink anything. Finally our time to go in, I was the second girl in line for our group. I walked in and Danny had his back turned and Joey was hugging the girl in front of me. So I walked up to Jordan and got a hug, next up was Donnie. I walked up to him, but before I could hug him, he saw my Donnie button and Ddub’s soldier sign, he kind of smirked/smiled, and took a sharpie out of his back pocket and signed my button. I remember just looking down at the button as he signed it. At this point I was a goner; he gave me a hug and I didn’t let go. I don’t ever remember if I said thank you; I believe I did. I just remember shaking a lot. After the pictures were taken, I went up to Jon ask him for a hug (by the way; he gives really good hugs too, just saying). It literally took 5 minutes and two beers for me to calm down after that.

We couldn't go to the waffle house because of the 9 hour drive to Jones Beach. Me being the only one that liked driving in big cities; I was elected to drive and well I needed more than an hours sleep. Here I got to meet up with some friends (Lauren, Amy M., Keith, Amy B.) and had yet another amazing time. Before the show Heather and I got to meet Ethan and Rob and have pictures taken with them. I don’t think I will ever forget standing on a small metal wobbling chair to see Donnie, Joe, and Jon jumped into that cruddy water. And then to see Donnie coming out of the water with pants falling down; yeah I was a happy girl.

We spent the next day in NYC sightseeing. The drive home was bittersweet. The shows and experiences I had were amazing, and I had meet some great friends along the way, but I was left craving more. In the following months I would become what some would say addicted to twitter and even bought a blackberry. I found that I was not alone and that there were other girls out there like me. And that no matter where I turned to or where I went that I would always have a friend. I remember setting up the webcast on my big screen and bawling my eyes out when heard Close to You, thinking this can’t be it; there has to be more.

And so there would be more. August rolls around - the cruise sales and Donnie has his birthday bashes. I took off the day the cruise went on sale. After seeing what happened with past cruisers sale, I knew I was in for it; and boy was I right. 6 hours later, after many tears and wanting to deck someone/something/anything, I finally got a cabin, not what I had wanted, but hell I’m on the ship, so what do I care. And then I set out to Boston for the first time by myself. Not the greatest first trip to Boston (didn’t see much of anything other than the hotel and the club). I met up with Keith and Amy M., we went out to eat and had a few drinks before waiting in line to go into Rumor. While in line I met Christy. I’m beginning to love these trips because not only do I get to see new places and see the guy(s) perform, but I also get to meet a lot of great people along the way. The birthday bash was my first time at one of his parties, have to admit it was a little crazy (did I mention the scene and cops outside the club afterwards), but Donnie as always put on one hell of a show.

October rolls around and the some of the guys are working on solo projects. Donnie comes out with Rise n Grind and I Got It, and so starts more parties. At this point in time; I was running around like a chicken their their head cut off. My mom had been in and out of several surgeries for her hip and knee and I was working mad hours at work and trying to take care of her. So Streetlight announces these contests and all you got to do buy Donnie’s new songs. Didn’t think too much of it, never have been lucky, and I was going to buy the songs no matter what. Sitting with my mom at the hospital on October 30th (yes I remember the date, remember almost exact time too), just about passed out and did drop the crackberry on the floor when I got a text that Donnie tweeted my name as the 3rd winner. And I admit I love the fact that all my friends knew before me and they were messaging and calling me with support. Through this whole journey I have gained the most amazing set of friends.

I had been talking to Suzi (@beerbabesuzi) on twitter for months by this point. We get tickets to the Columbus party; I drive to go get her and then we were going to stay at Amanda’s house. While at Amanda’s also got to meet Steph (@stephspencer). The four of us were ready for a great night. From Columbus, Suzi and I would go to Chicago, which was supposed to be the contest win party. We all got facetime tickets for Columbus; it was to be Suzi’s first time ever meeting Donnie. Before the party I got to meet up with Christina (@ChristinaTruax) and Michelle (@hearmyvoice); who were fellow GMG divas. I will go more into some Diva love in a little bit. Facetime with Donnie – will I ever not be nervous around this man? Yeah hopefully one day, but not this time around. Walked up to him; got a great hug (he rubbed my back; I did his – it’s little moments like this that I will forever treasure). I don’t really remember much of what was said; but I do remember thanking him for everything he has done. I said I was tired, long drive, he said yeah he was tired too, long flight. (I don't ever want to hear anyone say he doesn't give his all, because through those sunglasses I could see his tired eyes - that man truly does give his all) The party went until 2am, we left and figured we would go eat at a Waffle House (Suzi and I had never been to one before). We showed up at one Waffle House (who knew there would be 5 Waffle Houses within 6 miles of the club). There was a waitress outside and she asked us if we were looking for that Backstreet Boy (yeah, she said it not me, and yes we were dying from laughter). We ended up driving to the other Waffle House and we got to see Donnie as he was leaving. (And may I add what is so special about the Waffle House food, I wasn't that impressed - of course it was 4am and I was sleepy)

As it turns out I never got the info needed for the Chicago party (I’m not going to go into a lot of details, those of you who know me, know the stress and waiting that I went through over this contest win and that’s all I’m going to say – in the end I got to go to HOB).

Suzi and I flew out to Boston early Friday morning and that weekend was the most amazing weekend of my life; yes it was a little stressful, but nothing but great times. This was the first time ever flying for me; scared shitless but what was at the end of the plane ride was worth it. We landed in Boston around 8am, took both of ours first cab ride to the hotel. Checked into our room for two nights, yes this was the nicest room either of us ever had. We rested for a little bit since neither of us had gotten any sleep the night before and then set out on the town for a day of sightseeing. Friday night ended with drinks at Cheers with Suzi and Lisa (@lisamh77). Funny thing about Lisa is that she lives only about an hour from me but we met for the first time in Boston.

Saturday was the bad girl reunion! Amanda drove into Boston with her hubby, John, and with her she brought Jen (@iheartrocknroll) and Pam (@pammieb74). They would later pick up Steph at the airport. We all met for lunch at Dick’s last resort, nothing but laughs and good times. Later Saturday night was the Pre-HOB dinner at the Hard Rock Café. This was a good time all around. Had a great dinner and got to meet some girls from twitter (most importantly was meeting Maria (@yikes77)). Donnie showed up after we had finished eating. He made his way around the room giving out hugs. As he walked around our table he looked at the plate of cookies on the table and said “oh cookies” and took a cookie from the plate. Here I got my first hug of this trip.

From the Hard Rock Café; Lisa, Suzi, Pam, and I went to Rob’s party. Here Suzi and I met Johnny and he put us in the VIP area and introduced us to Donnie (kind of funny since we had just seen him a couple hours before that). While we were talking to Johnny and Donnie I also finally got to meet Michelle (for the moment it’s @worldoftrouble). My memory from that night is not the hugs from Donnie but Michelle telling Johnny and Donnie to take care of her girls and Donnie putting his fist to his heart and saying you know it girl. *sigh* Did I mention I love that man? Yup, because I do. After the party we walk out into a blizzard, no literally it was a blizzard outside. Taxis were hard to find because of the weather, Suzi and I decide to hoof it back to the hotel (what can I say we loved being in the city and by this point we were somewhat used to the cold weather). Long story short we got a little lost and were frozen popsicles by the time we got back to the hotel.

Sunday – concert day. We were sitting in the hotel lobby and around noon Donnie came down to leave for meetings and HOB. He gave a round of hugs to the room, when I realize I had the gift with me that I made. Maria was there and gave me a nice shove to give it to him. I think he liked the grover (coined gdub by Maria); as for the cell charger hopefully someone showed him how to use it ;) Went out to lunch with some girls at Uno’s and then Suzi and I waited at the hotel for Johnny. He dropped off our tickets (which were actually stickers) around 6:30 and we headed over to the HOB. We were supposed to meet him at the bar but couldn’t find him so Suzi walks up to a security guard and asks “where does this get us” and he said in here. Two seconds later, Donnie sticks his head out of the door and motions for us to follow him. I do believe this is the first time that I actually spoke to him, but it wasn’t very many words, just about the contest win. He led us through backstage and up a set of stairs. He left us in this hallway; well his words “super secret private area and oh yeah help yourself to some food”. There were some other people in that hallway that we figured out were the choir when they started singing the NK Christmas songs. Donnie walked by a few times, could tell he had a lot going on. Last time he walked by he rubbed my elbow (*sigh*). Johnny later came by and took us out to our viewing spot for the concert (second floor right above the stage). The concert was nothing short of incredible. Seeing all five guys together, hearing the Christmas songs (I mean I never thought I would hear This One's For the Children live - and I'm betting Danny wishes I never did), and New Edition. After the show we were downstairs waiting to go to the afterparty and saw Joe and Jordan. Johnny told us to get into a limo and we did (this trip was full of first experiences for me). We ended up meeting his sister, who by the way is totally cool. The limo smelled like cat piss and to this day I will giggle thinking of Johnny saying “cat piss”. I love his accent; he kept telling us that we were quiet; hell I just wanted to listen to him talk, lol. Didn’t get to see Donnie at the afterparty, but got to talk to Fish and Ethan. Also got to meet up with @worldoftrouble and some other girls. We arrived at the hotel after the party and ended up hanging out in the lobby with Chris, Ethan, and some other girls. I believe I got an hour sleep before heading to the airport that morning. Was fighting back tears walking through the airport and on the plane flying home; I know it couldn’t last forever, but from the bad girl crew reunion to meeting new friends to the great concert and oh yeah some Donnie facetime this trip was the best experience of my life.

If I have learned anything this year it is the fact that I will never be alone; that there are people out there that even though they may be miles away still care.

To my Divas: A brief side note; I joined twitter in April; for the most part I just lurked and made a few friendships in the beginning because of the today show in May. It wasn’t until I started following a couple GMG divas (@sabrina215 then @yikes77) later in May that I became addicted to twitter and really started making new friendships (both divas and non divas). I started following more divas and soon became one myself. I came on late in the game as a diva, but was totally accepted by them and have made many great friendships. Without two of them my Boston trip would not have turned out the way it did; for that I am forever grateful and in debt to them.

Donnie has said it many times “in the worst of times, we had the best of times”. That statement truly sums up this year. I have been through hell the past few years, but this year has been nothing short of amazing. The laughs, smiles, friends, nothing but good memories; and hopefully 2010 will continue this amazing journey. I am forever grateful for the friends and the memories.


@beerbabesuzi @worldoftrouble @apriloj69 @yikes77 @shiftywooten @heidijogmgdiva @samajo @buttlesuk @umasswmr @annielorri @emmers1974 @christinatruax @hearmyvoice @sabrina215 @covergirl_76 @stephspencer @lisamh77 @pammieb74 @lubdub76 @iheartrocknroll @ddubsreject @leahgmgdiva @ddubsmizfit Thank you girls for you ever-loving support and friendship, you girls mean more to me than you will ever know.

No I didn't mention all the people I follow but seriously I do love all my followers, the friendships that I have made, and can't wait to see what 2010 has in store...

No comments:

Post a Comment