Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Magic Continues by @pammieb74

It all started 20 years ago the first time I saw The Right Stuff video on MTV, yes, when MTV actually played music videos. I saw Jordan and that was it for me…I thought he was so cute and the 4 other boys weren’t so bad either. Then in July 1989, the New Kids On The Block were headed to Philly. My sister and I begged our Dad to allow us to go to the show. He said he would try to get tickets, since the show was already sold out for months. Weeks went by and on the day of the concert my Dad surprised my sister and I with tickets to the “late show” that was added. At the time the tickets were printed they were opening for Tiffany so my 1st ticket does not say NKOTB except for where I crossed out Tiff’s name and wrote in NKOTB.

July 7, 1989 will be a date I will remember forever. It was the first time I was in a room with the boys who stole a piece of my heart. The concert was at Valley Forge Music Fair, a venue that is no longer in existence, but was the best place to see a show. Come to think of it all of my childhood crushes were seen there…Donny Osmond, Rick Springfield, Jack Wagner, Marky Mark... My sister who was only 10 at the time was allowed to sit directly at the stage so she would be able to see – they allowed any kids under 10 to do that – so I was left in the row by myself…and I didn’t mind at all…I was just so incredibly excited to see these 5 cute boys from Boston! The lights went down and out they came. They opened with My Favorite Girl…to this day that is still my favorite song! All 5 guys were running around the stage I remember just screaming and jumping up and down at my seat. During the song the stage started to rotate and at the chorus the stage stopped and there he was, Danny Wood, singing My Favorite Girl and as he pointed while singing I pointed back and yelled DANNY I LOVE YOU and he smiled and I thought OMG! OMG! OMG! HE SAW ME!!! And that was it I was “in love”!!!

In August 1989, I had the opportunity to see them again, twice! The first time was at Mann Music Center…at the end of the show we went down to the stage to deliver some things that we had for them and we spotted a girl with a towel. So my friend asked her, “who’s towel is that?” to which the girl replied “Joey’s”. Well that was my BF’s fave so she asked to hold the towel. The girl said she could and I still remember the look my BF gave me as if she were saying “should I take it and run?” and I nodded. I still feel awful to this day, but I still have a piece of that towel. The second show was in Atlantic City at The Grand Stand, which was the outdoor theater at what used to be at the Golden Nugget. We didn’t have tickets for that show, but my BF’s Mom loved the guys as much as we did so when we got home from camp, she ran outside and said “Get dressed…we are headed to AC…am I crazy?” When we got to the shore and the crowd was insane. The Boardwalk was packed as far as the eye could see. I think the ACPD had to pull assistance from other counties! I also remember meeting Donnie’s brother, Mark. Yes, that Mark J

In November 1989, Thanksgiving weekend we had the opportunity to see them again. All I remember of that show is Jordan dressing as Santa and Danny was Mommy…Hilarious! (Hmm…makes me wonder what will be at HOB…)

Flash forward to the summer of 1990….overnight camp…this put a HUGE strain on my NKOTB concert going experience. I missed Meet The New Kids Moms (and Dad) tour and the Summer Magic Tour. I was devastated that my Dad refused to allow me to come home from camp for both events as was my sister. Because he felt badly when they came back that winter, my Dad surprised us with not one show but TWO!

December 1990, we saw NKOTB two nights in a row. It was awesome! I remember one of the PPV shows had just happened recently and we watched that over and over again, memorizing the entire show. So when Donnie took center stage to do his beat box routine we knew what was coming next…He started doing his little talk to the audience and while it was extremely quiet (strange, I know) we yelled at the top of our lungs “DRUGS SUCK!!!” He paused and looked in the direction of our section and said “I guess somebody saw the PPV show!” We went nuts!!!

And as the guys started to show signs of going away, my love for them never did. I didn’t play the music as often or watch the videos like I used to, but the love was always there. I tried to follow their solo projects but it just was never the same. I have always said that the five of them separately are amazing but when the five of them are together it’s like magic. Like a magician and his assistant, only a select few understand how magic works…

I found myself going to nkotb.com when the rumors of a reunion started surfacing. When I logged onto the site the video came up of just “Are You Ready” with Jordan singing la la la’s and ooo ooo ooo’s, chills went up and down my spine and I got goose bumps…after all this time something awakened in me that I hadn’t felt in years; the feeling of being a kid and being so incredibly excited for something. When the reunion was finally confirmed, I was heartbroken when there was not a tour date for Philadelphia. But then a few days later…Atlantic City popped up. I was in New York for work and I literally screamed at my desk. Then a friend said to me, “but that is the date of my son’s wedding.” My heart sunk. How do I let down a friend who was more like an Aunt. I thought there will be another show. And low and behold there was…November 5, 2008…

It was a cold and rainy night in Philly…everyone in the Wachovia was soaked but nobody seemed to care. I looked around and saw buttons, high-hair, neon, acid-washed jeans and I thought OMG…this is awesome! We went to our floor seats and as the house lights went down and the words FIFTEEN YEARS AGO…flashed on the screen and then screams filled the arena. Chills and goose bumps covered my body and then there they were (goose bumps as I type this) I had tears in my eyes and then I heard “If you came here by yourself tonight” and that was it I was jumping up and down like a maniac and screaming. I leaned over to my sister and said “I don’t believe this” she turn to me and said “Me either” with tears in her eyes as well. The highlight of that show was the fact that I touched all five guys when they went past our seats on the way back from the “B Stage.” My sister said “OMG I touched Donnie, I touched Donnie! I am not washing this hand ever again!!!” When the show was over, I wanted more. I was on .com all the time and then a few months later I heard about twitter.

Oh twitter…a new addiction. You mean I could actually send messages to the guys that they could possibly read and even respond to???? During the Full Service Tour twitter was a buzz. All five of the guys would send out tweets before or after a show, actually sometimes a tweet would come during a show. It was the best interactive experience Blockhead’s could ask for.

On June 6, 2009 while performing at the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden, NJ, in the back of the arena, as I was getting closer and closer to reaching Donnie all of a sudden the music stopped and the house lights came up. All I could think was somebody was hurt. A few moments later Joe came over the speakers and said not to go anywhere the show was still going on. Turns out a fuse or 20 blew which affected the sound system and some of the lighting. Then Donnie took the stage for his set. “Stay With Me Baby” and then as he went into “Cover Girl” darkness…you could tell he was not pleased and came back with the little ditty “Fix This Shit” which has now become a Blockhead motto when websites crash every time Blockhead’s log on to listen to or buy something NKOTB related. After that show, The Block was the only CD I listened to for months. I just wanted more…

I didn’t do any 5 stars or go to numerous shows but that doesn’t mean that my love isn’t as great for them as another Blockhead that may have done that. I am so happy and thankful that the 5 boys from Boston came back into my life when we were all ready to be a part of each other’s lives again. And I am thankful that to the same 5 boys who helped me connect with other Blockhead’s that I probably would have never met if it weren’t for this reunion.

The adventure continues….

Much Love Always & Forever

xoxo Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment