Saturday, December 5, 2009

New Kid Joey McIntyre taking another solo run around The Block

SOURCE

Posted by John J. Moser at 06:34:44 PM on December 4, 2009

Joey MacWhen New Kids on the Block concluded its 15-month reunion tour this summer, one member – Joey McIntyre – decided he didn’t want to stop.

So two days after the tour ended July 19, he went into the studio and put together a seven-song solo EP, “Here We Go Again,” that on Tuesday drops on iTunes.

And tomorrow, tickets go on sale for a five-date tour of the northeast – including a Jan. 15 stop at The Note in West Chester – that could lead to a longer jaunt the would include the West Coast and South, McIntyre says.

“I think New Kids was amazing, and we were just so grateful for the opportunity, and did a lot of performing, and it just inspired me,” McIntyre says in a telephone call from his Los Angeles home this week. “It gave a lot to say and so I’m saying it.”

The first single off McIntyre’s new disc, the title song, is a driving, beat-heavy electronic tune unlike anything he – or New Kids – has ever done.

Other songs on the disc are “pop, dance urban rock,” McIntyre says. “There's a thriving energy and urgency in the music that represents where I am right now. I want to get in your face and rock."

But the disc also includes songs such as “Forget About It” that more traditionally focus on McIntyre’s ballad-strong voice.

McIntyre says the time with New Kids reignited his interest in making his own music, as he did after New Kids’ original run in the 1980s and 1990s. He released his debut solo disc, “Stay The Same,” in 1998 and opened his first solo tour at that year’s Musikfest festival in Bethlehem.

He later released three more solo discs, but the last was more than three years ago, ”Talk To Me,” in 2006.

The new disc will be released independently, only on digital retailers except for 3,000 discs sold as a special edition “MAC PAC 3000” that will include the EP, personal photos and a booklet with liner notes and lyrics. McIntyre says a bigger deal may be in the works for Canada.

McIntyre explains his return to solo recoding with “The Godfather”-referencing lyrics of “Here We Go Again”: “Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.”

“Just when I thought I was sort of maybe chilling out a little bit and getting away from it, I’m pulled back in,” he says, laughing. “And I think also being one of five and being a part of the team is awesome, I love it, but you also want to do things your own way. You don’t have to account for anybody else, and you want to step up and say what you want to say. And I think that was part of what propelled me into wanting to write some stuff.”

JOEY MCINTYRE, 7 p.m. Jan. 15, The Note, 142 E. Market St., West Chester; Tickets $26.50 advance, $28 day of show, On sale 10 a.m. Dec. 5; www.thenotewc.com, www.joeymcintyre.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment